29.10.06

People's Republic of Travis County.

This is apparently a common slander against Austin and its liberalism in the rest of Texas. I've decided that it makes an excellent theme for this weblog, as I happen to be moving in this zone right now and consider myself an unreconstructable leftist.

I'm not representing Austin or "real Austinites", I just want to comment from how things look to me, here and now.

This weblog will be devoted to a few broad topics:

* some local progressive matters from my perspective

* local progressive/radical infrastructure

* tools and argument people might want to use in the region

* notes for radical history of the south

A caveat though: I don't know what progressive means when I use it.

There are a variety of ideas and values brought up when people think of progressive/left/radical/whatever politics. I have found tht I share some of them but definitely not all.

When I think of "left," what I really mean is what seems to be good to me. What seems to be rooted in love for your neighbor, in the pursuit of dignity and freedom for all. I think of the struggle of men and women across time to be given the right to live and think and feel as they saw fit, not at the mercy of any tyrant or boss, not in fear of any authority.

When I think of the left, I think of that tendency in mankind that drives us to ennoble all people and the world, to live with quiet majesty and grace.

So I'm not just going to plop out party lines here. I want to say from the beginning, I'm not talking about firm and fixed principles and partisan argument. I'm talking about the feeling that wells up in us when we treat the world and our fellow man and woman with reverence, trust, respect, and love.

I think that in America, some elements identified with the "left" have striven to do this most passionately and ferociously, from the birth of unions to Civil Rights and beyond.

So I will list instances, examples, and these will show what I'm trying to call "good" in our society. Not the whole good, not the entire good, but a portion of it that links up with the rest, and whose basic principles are found at the heart of reverent, loving, and free life.